Saturday, December 31, 2016

VNR's Fav. Five of 2016

Happy end of 2016! This year I reviewed 45 verse novels published in the past four years; I would categorize nineteen of the verse novels I reviewed this year as excellent (four and five stars). To celebrate the end of the year, I have chosen my five favorite verse novels that were published in 2016. Each of the verse novels below skillfully combine poetic form and technique with a compelling narrative and add something new to the body of poetry for young readers. You can find my original reviews of each verse novel linked below. Looking forward to a new year filled with even more fantastic verse novels for young readers!

Kwame Alexander's Booked


Jeannine Atkins's Finding Wonders: Three Girls Who Changed Science


Margarita Engle's Lion Island: Cuba's Warrior of Words


Nikki Grimes's Garvey's Choice


Marilyn Nelson's American Ace